Founded in 1986 by eminent professional and social personalities as a non-political and non-for-profit association, the mission of ADG is to contribute to the economic and cultural development of the old and authentic Gemmayzeh district of Beirut. Its activities involve:
- The promotion of urban improvement and face-lifting projects in Gemmayzeh
- The co-management of the urban development project conducted and financed by the cities of Saint Etienne (France) and Beirut
- The lobbying for the preservation of the Gemmayzeh architectural and cultural character
- The organization of art exhibitions
- Conferences and concerts, including the Fête de la Musique on June 20-21
- The annual art festival (« The Stairs of The Arts ») on the St Nicolas stairs
- Social and caritative initiatives and events in favor of the old and needy inhabitants.